How To Get Rid of Algae in Your Pool
Unfortunately, algae is a common problem for people with swimming pools. If you’ve noticed that your pool water is starting to turn a little green, you’ve got an algae problem! Algae is a plant-like organism that grows in water, which is why swimming pools need to be treated with chemicals (or salt) to ensure nasty bacteria and other growths don’t get into our water.
The main reason why algae grows in your pool is probably because it hasn’t be treated with enough chlorine or other sanitizing chemical. When your water is stagnant or not moving enough, you’re gonna get algae. That’s why it’s important to keep the pool water moving with your filter and pump. It’s hard for algae to grow when the water is moving.
Algae also loves dark places that don’t get much water circulation including on the steps, under swim up tables and bar stools, and in all corners, creases, and crevices; great spots for algae to feed and multiply.
How can you get rid of it? Shock it!
There are 3 different stages of algae which need different amounts of shock.
- Light green algae
- Dark green algae
- Black green algae
The more algae in your pool water, the darker the green color will be. Disgusting!
1 pound of shock treats 10,000 gallons of water.
Light Green Pool Water: Double shock it. (2 pounds per 10,000 gallons)
Dark Green Pool Water: Triple shock it. (3 pounds per 10,000 gallons)
Black Green Pool Water: Quadruple shock it. (4 pounds per 10,000 gallons)
- Remember always shock your pool at night when the sun is gone for it to be its most effective.
- Never pour shock through the skimmer!
- Algaecides are mainly used as a preventative.
Hope this helps!